Our Goal

Our Goal
To eat and provide healthier eggs that don't hurt our bodies like store bought eggs do. And better tasting eggs too! I also want to share my experiences and pass along what I find out along the way. I also pray insome way, that you are entertained or inspired, as well.

Monday, November 5, 2012

We Set Our Clocks Back, But Who Will Explain This To The Rooster?

   We set our clocks back but the chickens don't know this. Especially our rooster. He is crowing at his usual hour, which is an hour sooner now. :(

   I am not sure why America still has daylight savings time, are you? Times have changed and I think it no longer makes sense.

   I have noticed the chickens now expect to be let out at what would have been their usual time, but isn't now. Seriously, who's going to tell them the seasons are changing.

   I also feel bad that there just aren't many bugs available for them to forage this time of year. They are scratching through the fall leaves like nobody's business anyway.

   I don't see them eating near as much grass though. I wonder if the taste has changed with the colder weather. It's still green but no longer growing.

   I went into their barn today, and a bunch of them were dust bathing in the litter on the floor of the chicken barn. At first I just thought they were cold. But then I figured it out. A change they HAVE noticed is that the ground is too muddy and cold for any of their usual fun. So they just moved the dust bathing indoors.

  They seem really confused about all of this wet and muddy weather. We had some of the storm that was hurricane Sandy (no damage to speak of, thanks, we were on the upper fringes of it). That really muddied up the chicken pen. And made their little deposits in it stink. Yuck! I would love to add fresh dirt on top. Can't afford to though. :(

  Now the girls are laying more eggs than we can use. So I am looking into recipes and such.

   We actually saw snow bits in the air today, and it is snowing on and off tonight. It won't accumulate, but still, it is shocking to my system. I wonder how the chickens feel? And please, someone tell our rooster to set his internal  clock back an hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and feedback are welcome, as long as they are respectful!