Our Goal

Our Goal
To eat and provide healthier eggs that don't hurt our bodies like store bought eggs do. And better tasting eggs too! I also want to share my experiences and pass along what I find out along the way. I also pray insome way, that you are entertained or inspired, as well.

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Ameraucana Or Easter Egger, The Verdict Is In!

   Okay, earlier I wrote a blog on differences between Ameraucanas and Easter Egger chicken breeds. I have two that I have been waiting to decide whether they are genuine Ameraucana chickens or not. I have decided they are. (I bought them at a feed store, not knowing there are Easter Eggers being passed off as Ameraucana chickens.

  One of my Ameraucana chickens has finally laid its first egg. Hallelujah! You must understand we had to wait seven lunar months, and three weeks, and five days for this moment! And now we are waiting for our second one to lay as well.

  We have our first blue egg. I am so delighted! And I believe it's worth the wait. You see an Easter Egger starts laying sooner. So I have come to the conclusion we weren't lied to. Not just because our chickens match the Ameraucana pictures that I have found, but also because of their maturity rate. Now all is left is the frequency in which our hens will lay an egg. If she lays about 3 eggs a week, then we are done discussing this, lol. If she lays almost every day, then either her sister has joined her, or ... well, we'll see.

   Here is our first blue egg:


   It looks like it's been dipped in water colored paint. So beautiful! Thanks God for your beautiful artistry! You are THE Artist of Artists!

   Update: Mrs. Owl is the one laying the eggs as far as we know. Her next eggs have been paler colored on the outside than this first egg.

   But the question is back now. If she is the only one of our two ameraucana's laying, how come she is laying so frequently? She is laying almost daily now. Wow! She's a good hen! Right now she's the favorite, lol. She is so cute checking out all the laying boxes and what's in them before laying. And then coming back and checking them some more. She is more willing to come near me now, too, and investigate by my feet to see if I have dropped anything yummy. She has always been more nosy than Mrs. Hawk, but now she is braver and more willing to come nearer to do her socializing and investigations. I think laying has given her a new confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and feedback are welcome, as long as they are respectful!