Our Goal

Our Goal
To eat and provide healthier eggs that don't hurt our bodies like store bought eggs do. And better tasting eggs too! I also want to share my experiences and pass along what I find out along the way. I also pray insome way, that you are entertained or inspired, as well.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Eggs That Taste Special

   Okay, egg lovers. There are some of us that got into this backyard chicken raising because of how special the eggs are that are from backyard chickens compared to the eggs one can buy at the supermarket.

   We all know the nutritional value is way better, and they are better for your heart and circulatory system (provided you are cooking your eggs on low temperature to prevent the chemical that causes inflammation to be released that does so much harm). So it's all good there. Higher in good omegas, rather than the bad. Way better for your cholesterol. Look up the difference if you haven't yet, it will relieve your worries over eating eggs (as long as the chickens are raised right! Thus the backyard chickens trend.)

   But the other reason we got into this was the flavor of chicken eggs we have tasted from some peoples home grown chickens. Mmmm.... They haunted me into the risk of this whole adventure!

   But I have found that not all home grown eggs are equally tasty. So we have allowed ours to free range in the evening, after they are done with laying and we are free to watch them most of the time to make sure they don't cross into our neighbor's yard. (Very few fences in the country, in Maine!)

   Anyhow, my problem is that the summer ended, and now they get very little grazing or bugs, or greenery (we are on a tight budget, work is seasonal here). Our human nutrition goes down in the winter as well due to our budget constraints.

   Now our eggs were fading in color and I wasn't so proud of their flavor (which had gotten mighty dull). I looked on the web and only could find info related to free-range eggs as being the best for flavor. It's just not possible right now. Welcome to winters in Maine!

   We normally buy our poultry feed at our local feed store. We have tried two other chain stores, but they are more expensive and the food was less impressive. I won't name those brands. I don't want to muddy up the feed business.

   We were using the regular ol' Blue Seal from our local feed store for layers. But recently my husband bought the Blue Seal Extra Egg Poultry Feed. He didn't even realize it was a different name on the bag until I pointed it out. He said that was all they had, and I was good with that because I had been curious about it.

   We went on with our lives not thinking more about it, but then it hit me. Our egg yolks had gone from having gotten dull in color back to looking bright and appetizing looking. And the yolks seemed larger as well. So I paid more attention and realized that they taste way better as well! Just what I was looking for. Look up this feed online. It is very nutritional and yet it is reasonably priced. I am sooo happy that our eggs look and taste special again!!! I am no longer depressed about the winter eggs. No worries, mate! They taste nice and rich again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and feedback are welcome, as long as they are respectful!