Our Goal

Our Goal
To eat and provide healthier eggs that don't hurt our bodies like store bought eggs do. And better tasting eggs too! I also want to share my experiences and pass along what I find out along the way. I also pray insome way, that you are entertained or inspired, as well.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Metal Chicken Waterer's Have Handles That Won't Hang Properly

   Here is your average galvanized metal chicken waterer:



   I am not enlarging this picture because I don't intend on trashing ANY particular company for this, because they ALL seem to have the same handle that I have found at the stores near me.

   And is the problem: You have to hang these metal waterers for them to function right. There has to be tension to pull the handle up in order for the water to keep reveling as the chickens drink the water. Okay?

   But this is where the trouble begins. If you hang the waterer by the handle, there is no point or anything else to keep the chain or the rope from sliding to one side of the handle or the other. And if the waterer isn't kept level, the water starts coming right out, flooding the chicken's floor and the litter that's on it. Not good!

   If we leave the lid off and just set on a raised surface, then litter and chicken poo will get in. :(

   Currently, we sit ours with the lid on, on a raised surface, with a rope tied to the lid with the tension just enough to barely work. It's not hanging from the ceiling, but the rope goes up and over the inner chicken wall and is tied to something on the other side.

   I am NOT happy. How many years have backyard chicken farmers been around now? Long enough for the makers of these waterers to realize there is a flaw in all of their metal chicken waterers. And yet, why don't they fix them???

   Like I said, I am not singling out one company alone. This travesty of a handle is on them all.

   My husband tried to bend the handle with something to make it the right shape, but he couldn't do it without risking a total break in the handle.

   This isn't a cheep item to buy either. It cost us almost twenty dollars! (They are all in the $18.99 region.) If I invest in something, I should be able to expect it be functional. Please, makers of metal chicken waterers, do something to improve your handles. How come I see the correct shape of handles on metal feeders, but not on the waterers?????????? How about a handle that doesn't slide?

1 comment:

  1. We fashioned another handle onto ours which connects onto the existing handle. It works, but still we have just taken one back because it leaks. Then was told they are not intended to hang! Some websites say they are hanging waterers, website says they are not supposed to hang...? I am with you

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and feedback are welcome, as long as they are respectful!