Our Goal

Our Goal
To eat and provide healthier eggs that don't hurt our bodies like store bought eggs do. And better tasting eggs too! I also want to share my experiences and pass along what I find out along the way. I also pray insome way, that you are entertained or inspired, as well.

Friday, October 5, 2012

To Trim, Or Not To Trim Chicken Wings? And One Or Both Sides?

   Okay, we have one Golden Comet that thinks that if we don't let her out of the pen to go free-ranging at the usual hour, then she should go ahead and "let herself out" by flying out.

   At first she would stay right near the pen and graze. Later she got bolder and would come on up to the birdfeeder (they like to eat the seed that falls to the ground of course!). The bird feeder is right outside the window where I sit at the computer. 
One time two other chickens flew out with her over the fence. My husband witnessed that one.

   So I began to go online and find out how to trim chicken wings so they can't do what our Dora The Explorer was doing. (We named her that while they still lived in their cage. She wasn't afraid of staying near the door whenever I opened it for anything. She would flirt with me like she wanted me to pick her up and then vamoose out the door to explore the room and look for more food, like hers wasn't good enough. Thus, she would make me have to catch her when I was done with whatever I was doing for the chicks. She is always pushing her bounderies looking for new territory.)

   I read of different opinions out there on whether it is cruel to trim their wings. (We put it off as long as we could, believe me!) And I found people disagree concerning whether to trim one wing, or both wings. And finally different diagrams and videos show different amounts of how much, and which feathers to trim. And still others declared it didn't work either way, that theirs still flew out of their pens. Ahem, we will asume that there was a trimming flaw there, like maybe they didn't trim enough off? But anyway, one learns even from those testimonies not to be TOO frugal if you trim your chicken's wings.

   The final straw was when Dora flew to the decorative overpiece that frames in the beautiful gate my husband built for them (yes, that gate got built! Now if we can finish the roof before winter). Dora flew straight up and perched there like it was nothing. Let me get a picture of that gate.






   As you can see the highest piece of wood, over the gate, makes a lovely perch to a chicken!

   That is Dora The Explorer at the gate. She is easily identified from her sisters by that nice white waving at us on her (always) upraised tail. (Every one of my Golden Comets has their own unique markings.) The Cherry Egger next to her is her disciple most of the time.

   So now you decide for yourself. Should you trim your chickens wings when they start "exploring" without your permission? We have all kinds of wild life here in the Maine woods. (We do live in a rural area.) And we have dogs in the area as well. People try to keep a good eye on their dogs but we do have one that has snuck over here and is known for "playing" with chickens. It just doesn't know any better.

   I do let mine out in the evening to free-range. But I and my family are available to manage them and keep them from going places they ought not to. I also want to stay on good terms with our neighbors, know what I mean?

  So for their safety and so forth, I went out armed with a sharp pair of scissors, having already decided on my favorite instructions and video demonstration to follow. My husband saw me and came to help with relish. (He'd been telling me to get the knowledge so we could get it done!)

   Dora was the first target of course! She was not happy when she saw we were coming for her (my husband had got her down from the top of the gate, and back into the pen). It was quite the chase and the chickens squawked loudly! It sounded like murder was afoot. But it was all for a good cause.

   We caught her, And my husband held her and we got her wing stretched out. (Look for a video as well as a diagram, to show you which feathers are the flight feathers.) Then I spotted the next row of feathers above the long fringe of flight feathers. I cut the bottom row (long flight feathers AND the short flight feathers) aiming to cut along the bottom of the row I sighted above the flight feathers for my eyeball reference. I looked underneath the wing to make sure there was nothing to hurt at the place I wanted to cut. (Do not cut skin, meat, or any part of the feather that will shows pink or red in it, that is the quick and it will bleed just like a cat or a dog's would!)

  I cut in a smooth line just under the edge of the row I discussed. It went well. We chose NOT to cut both wings. We would see if one wing would do the job. I know there are those who think a chicken has a hard time walking with just one wing. NOPE. They walk and run beautifully with one clipped wing, and one regular wing. It really just depends on your feelings. I like them having one side with a beautiful wing. The clipped side doesn't look bad either, and I don't notice it being there.

   It was a hard decision to make since I always enjoy watching chickens run and have flight races together. Now they just run. We did every chicken except the rooster. Our rooster hasn't ever tried to get out, he wants to be with his ladies. And we want him to be able to fight for them if necessary (we have hawks in the vicinity).

   So that's our story of clipping nineteen chicken's wings. It was quite a chase in the pen, and some ran into the chicken house. We shut the door, lol. So we did some outside, and some inside the chicken house (much easier, they couldn't get to far!). A VERY loud situation, but then we gave them special treats afterward to calm their nerves and fear. Food ALWAYS helps where chickens are concerned, lol. They forgave us quickly. And now no one flies out or up either. This will last until they aquire new feathers. (Such as through molting.)

   I do insist on you looking at many different instructions with photos and diagrams, as well as a few videos demonstrating how to clip a chickens wing(s). Then choose the wisest instructions. Don't overdo, and don't underdo.

   But I will say my chickens don't have a balance problem with just one wing trimmed. They are perfectly able to do all but fly. And they can still run from that rascally affectionate rooster when they choose!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and feedback are welcome, as long as they are respectful!